Old Jan 30th, 06, 11:42 pm   #1
dede4wd
IKEA addict

iKarma: 300
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Adel Birch
Hi Everyone!

I was going to do a breakfast bar with Capita legs behind my peninsula. I was going to use butcher block as a top of the breakfast bar. Such as this: http://www.ikeafans.com/images/califwmnKitchen%20BB2.jpg Blind copying, but this was just beautiful!

I was thinking about it (last chance to make changes). I have a glass-top range on that peninsula. I don't want to:
  1. Risk not being able to use my back burner and
  2. Burn my kitchen down!
  3. I like the idea if my kitchen is dirty, to not be able to see it as well from my dining room and entryway!
SCRAP THAT IDEA!

I am now planning on using 12" deep 39" tall wall cabs as MsAzadi did here:http://www.ikeafans.com/images/MSAZADI2islands.jpg

I am a DIY-er and follow directions well, but don't have a lot of genius and insight. I know I will need to put legs on the wall cabinet, but all my base cabinets are already installed, so I have no "template" to go off of. What I need to know (and it's taken me this long to ask) is
  • Where should I put the legs?
  • Anybody have a "template" planned out already for me to follow?
  • How far in do I drill, what size bit?
  • Would they be free-floating, I only have 1 wall to attach them to!
Any other advice (and photos to show to my helper to see what I'm doing) would be GREATLY appreciated!

Also, I'm putting a countertop on top of this (Pragel) and want to know if I need to put any extra support on. I plan to have an 18" countertop over a 12" cabinet.

Thanks for all your help and ideas!

DeDe

Share |

dede4wd is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 30th, 06, 11:58 pm  
IKEA addict

Also,

I have 79 1/2 inches to fill on the back-side of my peninsula. Think I can pull off two 36" cabs & a Perfekt 9" cab? Any ideas on filling the space?

Or 24" plus 24" plus 30" to equal 78"? What do you guys think?

Okay, 30 plus 18 plus 30?

Somebody help me!

DeDe

Share |
Old Jan 31st, 06, 7:49 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,125
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

If you plan to put doors on the wall cabinets I would suggest 30 - 15 - 30 with filler on either side of the centre cabinet, this way the doors are all the same size. With capita legs you just fasten the base plate to the bottom of the cabinet - no drilling required. However, if you cut the pragel countertop to 18" you won't have enough finishing strips to cover the cut side.The wall cabinets provide enough support for an 18" top. You will also need to cover the backside of the wall cabinets (with a pantry cover panel) between the top of the peninsula and the bottom of the countertop.

Share |
Old Jan 31st, 06, 10:10 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,680
Gallery: 148
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
You can attach the wall cabinets to the base cabinets for more stability. You want to gang together the wall cabs, then you will need to dremel a slot into the back panels of both the wall and base cabinets you are attaching, big enough for a flat plate to go through. You can get flat plates at the hardware store, they are strips of metal with holes in them. You use them to join the two cabinets together. You can attach the flat plates on the bottom or on the side of a cabinet, depending on where they meet up. Cut the slots, slide the plate in, secure the plate with screws and you'll have a rock solid unit.

A 6 inch overhang is not going to be terribly comfortable to sit at, I'd recommend 9 inches at that height. The wall cabs have a solid top (as opposed to the base cabinets which only have the strips) so you can secure the countertop very well and support a bigger overhang.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 06, 11:01 am  
IKEA addict

Thank you Torrus & Eva!

That all makes sense. So you think I should use the Capita legs and use James' idea of how to make toekicks fit those legs?

Eva, I understand what you're saying about 6" not comfortable to sit at. i just didn't want the darned things to tip over! You think it won't have any trouble supporting 21" of Pragel (12 for cabinet & 9 for sitting)?

Anyone with pictures of using wall cabs for base cabs would be greatly appreciated, I'm still having trouble explaining "the concept" to the man with the power tools whose help I inevitably need!

Share |
Old Jan 31st, 06, 11:32 am  

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!
I think the 9 inch overhang will be fine. You can secure it to the entire surface of the top (which is 3/4 solid surface) so that should give you as much strength as you will need.

Alternatively, you can pull the countertop out beyond the side of the peninsula, and add a leg at the corner for support. I don't think that is necessary, though.

I have a pic of the wall cabinet side of my island, if that is helpful. We did ours on exposed Capita legs, though, so that part won't help you much. We just distributed the legs with the unit upside down for best placement. It was heavy to flip over LOL We used 30 inch wall cabs because we wanted counterheight, but you would use 39 inch for bar height.

The granite top is 4 feet deep by 5 feet wide, leaving a 12 inch overhang on two sides which is unsupported. It's on a 3/4 MDF underlayment and is rock solid.

Share |

Last edited by DesignDiva; Dec 8th, 06 at 10:35 am..
Old Jan 31st, 06, 2:53 pm  
IKEA addict

Yeah, if you've got granite, I guess I shouldn't worry so much about supporting the Pragel. That's a project for my next trip home. I love your island (and kitchen and house) so much! You said you have a 12" overhang? That's plenty comfy for sitting there as a bar, yes?

Share |
Old Jan 31st, 06, 3:33 pm  

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!
Thank you for the compliment!

It is perfectly comfortable. It is actually a little less than 12 inches, because I made the island one foot bigger on two sides, but didn't account for the 1 1/2 inch overhand, so it is actually about 10 1/2 inches on the bar side. Still, perfectly comfortable. The kids sit on the side with the door handles. Adults might hit their knees on the handles because they stick out a bit (Lansa) but the kids are fine. And of course, you don't have to have the superlong handles like I did :shock:

Share |

Old Jan 31st, 06, 4:51 pm  
IKEA addict

Plus...no kids!

Share |
Old Jan 31st, 06, 6:22 pm  
Moderator; Member #123

iKarma: 10,898
Gallery: 53
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Lidingo (+ Hallarum in master suite)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!
DeDe - this will be of minimal help, but I'll chime in. My island is mostly base cabinets but we used one wall cab because there's a partition in the middle of the island so we needed a shallow cabinet. We used 4 of the black legs and just had to ad lib where to put them (corners and how to put them on (screwed them through the bottom of the cabinet). Then we ganged them together. Very unscientific, but it seems to be working.

My counter is butcherblock, and it extends 12" over one end of the island. We didn't put extra support there.

Since your cooktop heat concern prompted this design change, I assume you're going to do a backsplash along the front edge of those 39" cabinets. Stainless? There's a stainless backsplash piece at Ikea that might be worth looking at:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...rentCats=15576

Kathy

Share |
kmcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
billy , billy bookcase , bookcase