Old Apr 30th, 12, 3:59 pm   #1
MrsBaker
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 2,269
Gallery: 18
My IKEA: USA-Philadelphia:Conshohocken
Doorstyle: Nexus BB and Abstrakt Gloss White
Adding Drawers to cooktop cabinet

We're in the process of installing our IKEA kitchen and I was wondering if anyone has modified the 30" cooktop base cabinet to add a shallow drawer? We purchased the 30" unit with 2 deep drawers and the 2 false drawers on top. Our previous cabinet had 2 shallow drawers up top, so I know it would fit with our cooktop.

I looked at IKEA's site and they do include a rail for the 2 drawer units, but it doesn't seem to be available for purchase independent of the cabinet unit.

Has anyone modified this unit to include a shallow drawer?

Share |

MrsBaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 1st, 12, 3:53 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 8,361
My IKEA: USA-New Haven
Doorstyle: Stat, Nexus, Lidingo, Avsikt, Fagerland, Abstrakt
Re: Adding Drawers to cooktop cabinet

There is a part called an: Akurum rail partition that will obstruct. I think you could feasibly cut some of it out of the way, if the drawers do actually allow sufficient space for the clearance of the cooktop.

I would be sure there are no heat clearances you need to abide by first though.

Pat

Share |
Patinstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 12, 4:24 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 233,302
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

Whether you can use drawers under your cooktop will depend on how deep your appliance is, and where and how the utility (gas or electric) connections are configured under the cooktop.

As Pat noted, the drawer partition will get in the way, but you can cut it and the front and back rails of the cabinet to allow the drawers to be installed (chances are, you're going to have to cut the rails for the C/T to fit anyway). In the past, I've cut away large portions of the partition without any ill effect.

Once that part of the work is finished, you might have to modify a drawer in order to clear the gas piping or electric line - this might involve cutting away a portion of the back, or even cutting into the drawer bottom itself. It's also possible that your plumber or electrician can alter those bits, if needed (the gas connection can be modified to run horizontally for a bit to clear the drawer before running vertically behind the drawer). But exactly what needs to be done will depend on the exact situation in your cabinet.

Share |
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 12, 6:35 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 181,285
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Doorstyle: Ramsjo BB

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Would this modification offer any ideas for your cabinet? Shortening drawers--yes it is possible!

Share |
personalshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 12, 12:39 pm  
IKEA FAN

Thanks for the replies. I know the drawer would clear without any issues. It's a matter of sourcing the akurum suspension rail to attach the drawer slides to. It doesn't seem like IKEA sells this rail independent from the cabinet frame and/or drawer face kit. The only other reasonable solution would be to modify another 30" drawer. We would have to cut the face down and also modify the back of the drawer, since the 30" drawers seem to only come in the deep drawer option. I'm just not sure about cutting down the metal back.

I was really hoping someone else had done this modification before and could share their success.

Share |
Old May 2nd, 12, 12:46 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions
Total Awards: 1

Hmm... Are you talking about the metal rail that fits from side to side inside the cabinet? I thought my daughter said it was a separately listed item on her last cabinet-purchasing trip.

Share |
personalshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 12, 12:59 pm  
IKEA FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by personalshopper View Post
Hmm... Are you talking about the metal rail that fits from side to side inside the cabinet? I thought my daughter said it was a separately listed item on her last cabinet-purchasing trip.
In the 30" base cabinet with 2 15" narrow drawers and 2 doors with shelves, the assembly instructions show a "suspension rail" that you install in in the top, center of the cabinet so that you can attach the inside drawer slides to it. I used the IKEA design software to create a list with that cabinet on it, but the item wasn't listed separately and I can't find a part number for the individual piece.

Share |
Old May 2nd, 12, 5:28 pm  
Administrator

iKarma: 220,541
Gallery: 1457
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 3

What you want to do in this case is install ONE 30" wide drawer at the top instead of the TWO 15" wide drawers they sold you with the cabinet. You will not need the center drawer support that comes with the two narrow drawers. You can return the drawers and the support piece (and possibly the fronts, unless they came in a 4-pack) and purchase the 30" wide shallow drawer (comes with the oven cabinets) and the 30" wide shallow drawer front to accomplish this hack. I think that's it...Chuck?

Hope that helps!

Susan

Share |
Old May 2nd, 12, 5:37 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 8,361
My IKEA: USA-New Haven
Doorstyle: Stat, Nexus, Lidingo, Avsikt, Fagerland, Abstrakt

Hi,

That is the wood block that is mounted in the center of the cabinet, and it is called a rail partition. You can order it separately, you just have to know the item number. Are you using a white or birch?

A 30" wide on top is an option as well.

Pat

Share |
Patinstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 12, 7:01 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions