Old Aug 2nd, 12, 10:29 am   #1
Mike_Hirsch
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 300
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Strengthening 24" Pull Out Base Cabinet

Hi IkeaFans!

This site has been a huge help over the last few weeks as my wife and I install a new Ikea kitchen, so thank you!

We just finished up the installation (still have to do the caulking and sanding/sealing the numerar top), and I had a question about a 24" base cabinet that we installed.

We got a 24" base cabinet and are using it as a garbage/empties cabinet - we installed the deep drawer and are using it as a pull out system. It has the single drawer attached to the front, then a second drawer that is not attached to the front face, it's just recessed with the rationell plastic drawer front.

We're really confident we have it installed correctly, but the connection of the front panel with the drawer seems kind of flimsy. I mean - it's *okay* - but I certainly worry about how it will hold up as days and weeks turns into years of use - and with it being used for garbage/recycling - it will get heavy use.

I have two teeny L brackets installed, but it is as if they don't do anything at all.

Did anyone have any suggestions of how to better secure it to make it feel more solid? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Mike

Share |

Mike_Hirsch is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Aug 6th, 12, 1:01 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,550
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Re: Strengthening 24" Pull Out Base Cabinet

It sounds like what I've got for a trash/recycling pull-out. Mine has been in use for 7 years and is still fine if that makes you feel any better.
If you wanted to reinforce it, one thing that comes to mind is some kind of diagonal support from the top corners of the back of the drawer box to the upper part of the door. Dowels would work but I can't think of how I would attach them offhand. What I can picture most easily is a light gauge wire or cable with some small eyescrews, plus a little turnbuckle for getting the tension just right.
You might need to epoxy or glue something to the inside of the door to put the eyescrews into.

Share |
Old Jan 9th, 13, 12:05 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 260
My IKEA: USA-Detroit:Canton
Question Re: Strengthening 24" Pull Out Base Cabinet

I have read this post and I have a similar issue.

I was sold a 24" Akurum for a trash pull out. They sent me the base, a deep drawer and a 24x24 door front (Lidi). The door does not have a place to put the drawer hardware (the screw in piece that snaps to the drawer or the side rails). Even if it did attach, like the other fronts, I can see that it would not be very rigid for daily use. Any help on how this door front is supposed to attach would be appreciated.

Share |
Angelinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 13, 9:08 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,550
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Hello and welcome
As IKEA does not sell a plug-and-play product for what you're attempting to create, a little extra effort and ingenuity is needed on your part.
You'll need to drill your own holes in the door for attaching the drawer box hardware. Use a standard deep drawer front as a template for the size, depth and location of the holes. Beyond that, my prior suggestions on this thread still apply.

Share |
Old Jan 9th, 13, 8:07 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 260
My IKEA: USA-Detroit:Canton

Ahhh thank you! I was unaware that they would sell me something that I had to alter without telling me.

Share |
Angelinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 13, 11:17 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 380
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Question Re: Strengthening 24" Pull Out Base Cabinet

On same thread - I want to do the same with an 18inch cabinet - but the normal door front template for a Rationell puts me in the middle of the recessed 'hole' for a hinge bracket on the cabinet door front I was using. Maybe I'm using the wrong template - or I should fill the recessed bracket hole with wood putty or similar to mount the attaching bracket?

Share |
redlandsikeafan is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment