No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old May 22nd, 07, 11:37 pm   #1
Allan1964
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 130
Gallery: 0
Question Re: TROMSO loft bed

Hello,
I have just purchased a used TROMSO loft bed for my daughter. I put it together and find that it is very high - too tight to the ceiling. Has anyone tried to lower this thing? I would like to lower it about a foot. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Allan

Share |

Allan1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 23rd, 07, 3:25 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,680
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Re: TROMSO loft bed (full) instructions

We cut ours down with a pipe cutter. You have to pop out the leg casters (we used a broomstick stuck down the tube and hammered, popped it right out) and then measure carefully to make sure your legs all end up the same length. Depending on how far you cut it down, you may need to make new holes for the cross braces, but if you give it a bit of thought you can avoid that.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started

Last edited by DesignDiva; Jun 7th, 07 at 2:20 pm..
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 07, 4:29 pm  
IKEA FAN

There was no way to cut from the top right... I think the legs at the top have the "male" end piece for the top end railings, right? I have the desk option and cutting the legs from the bottom will lower everything and I don't want to go there!!! HELP!!!

Share |
Old May 23rd, 07, 6:15 pm  

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!

Isn't your point to lower everything? Whether you cut from the top or the bottom, it will be lower. Unless you're talking about cutting the railings that go around the bed down, that is not a good idea.

Share |

Old May 24th, 07, 10:18 am  
IKEA FAN

Thanks again for the response. I checked it out last night and have come to the following conclusion to this story.

Cutting the legs from the bottom (removing the leg casters and cutting all four equally) will lower the bed (the ladder also needs to be dealt with). This is perfect for those that do not have the shelving option (this is a desk/work space that attaches to the bed frames’ cross members - the supports that hold the legs vertically square). However, for those that have the shelving option, like I do, cutting the legs will drop ***everything*** - not feasible to have the desk too low to the ground. It would have made things much easier if I could have cut from the top of the leg supports and simply drop the actual bed railings lower, but this cannot be done because the top leg supports have the male end that the bed railings slide into.

Therefore, the only conclusion I have found is to cut from the bottom to lower the entire unit (bed and shelving). Then I will have to move the horizontal leg cross members (to which the shelving units attach to) back up to the height it was prior to cutting the legs. To do this will implicate drilling new holes in each of the four legs (12 in all / 24 if you count going completely through the legs) to reposition the horizontal supports – not fun because remaining level is critical. Therefore, a precise, delicate and nerve racking job.

If and when I attempt this, I will follow up with a new post. I hope that this may help others in my position.

Thanks,
Allan

Share |
Old May 24th, 07, 10:53 am  

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!
Re: Cutting down Tromso loft bed

I've moved this part of the thread off the Instructions thread into one of its own.

Allan...I understand now, didn't realize about the desk underneath. Could you possibly use a freestanding desk underneath instead of the integrated piece?

Share |

Old Aug 27th, 08, 12:31 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Lightbulb Re: Cutting down Tromso loft bed

I have the exact same problem....my ceiling is to low and so its hard to sleep. i was thinking about cutting the legs but then noticed the same problem.....it would lower the desk too...when you find a solution please let me know thanks

Share |
Bruno AQP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 10, 9:34 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 260

To cut from the top... Perhaps you could sleeve it? Find a pipe diameter that will fit fairly snugly around the outside of the pipe or the inside. Get about an 8" section and drill holes in the ends, through as if you are going to stick a bolt all the way through it (because you will). The tighter the fit of the sleeve the better, the longer the section the better.

Cut at the top below the bed frame about a foot, remove 1 foot or whatever from the remaining legs, measure where you put the holes in your sleeve (important on an inner sleeve, but an outer sleeve can be used as a template) and drill holes through the leg post and again under the bed frame. insert bed-frame legs and loft legs into sleeve and bolt. If you use the outer sleeve you will basically have a pipe over a pipe. Same as the inner sleeve, but you wont see anything but the bolts.

Be careful not to crimp the tromso pieces by tightening the bolts too much.

Share |
twomonkeysayoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 12, 10:04 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 109
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Elizabeth
Question Re: Cutting down Tromso loft bed

I would also like to lower my Tromso bed, but instead of cutting it down, is it possible to buy shorter legs? I no longer need the desk space, but all bed risers only range from 2-8 inches, I am looking for at least 18 inches-- any suggestions?

Share |
zoey473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 12, 5:11 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 211,462
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

Welcome to IKEAFANS, zoey.

The beds are sold as a pre-designed and manufactured kit. If you want shorter legs, you're going to have to make your own.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
ikea , tromso