Register to remove these ads today!

Old Apr 27th, 06, 2:08 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,055
Gallery: 123
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 8

Man, is that your DH ? Tell him I'm really sorry he shrunk. But maybe they'll let him into Smalland?

Another vote for Van Gogh, Serene Gray.

Susan

Share |
Old Apr 27th, 06, 10:04 pm  
Moderator; Member #123

iKarma: 10,898
Gallery: 53
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Lidingo (+ Hallarum in master suite)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!
Speaking of Smalland, I took my mom, child of bona fide Swedish immigrants, to Ikea the other day. She asked "now where is Smaland?" and I immediately pointed over to the room with all the little balls. I'd completely forgotten that it's a province in Sweden

Anyhow, I did have a better reason to respond to this thread: it might be worth looking at Hakatai.com for tile mosaics. You can do a custom blend, and they also have good standard blends, and I think you might save some money. That's where I got my red backsplash tile, and Lisa got hers - they have great stuff: service, product and prices.

Kathy

Share |
kmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 06, 8:44 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
I'm confused! Are we voting on one color or two? If one, I vote Serene Gray. If two, I vote Serene Gray and Barbados. But that was my dream combo, so I'm a little biased.

Share |
PaigeCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 06, 11:16 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 22
My IKEA: USA-New York:Paramus
I really like the Van Gogh and the Serene gray. I have Tidaholm and we painted our walls Golden Honey from BM, the Van Gogh looksto have the same tones and I think it looks nice. Regarding the paint color, I think the Tidaholm will go really nicely with a plum color pulled from your backsplash (which is amazing). BM has those great little sample jars, which will allow you to try a few colors.

Share |
Brodysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 06, 12:02 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 521
Gallery: 7
Sorry for the confusion-- I had briefly considered mixing a few 12x12 tiles in with the planks, but ultimately decided against it. Based onthe feedback here and DH 's preferences I ordered the serene gray today - woo hoo! ;-)

So, now for the wall color decision-- I looked at Benjamin Moore's website last night-- there were several --

plum/eggplant sort-of colors

cherokee brick (benjamin moore)
cranberry cocktail beaujolais amazon soil

greenish type colors (note that the kitchen is currently a green color - a Martha Stewart green that we painted 7 years ago....)

terrapin green
olive branch
creekside green

tan/taupe-y/ colors

cafe mocha
cappuccino
wet concrete

Share |
lisa02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 06, 8:02 pm  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 90
Doorstyle: Applad/Stat
FWIW , we're combining a color called Backcountry, which is pretty much a light sage with a terracotta-y color called Scotch Whisky, and I very much like the look, as do others who have seen them. They are both colors offered by one of the Cdn big-box hardware stores, and I haven't been able to find swatches on line. I looked at the BM colors, but none were quite right, although Kennebunkport Green was close.

They make for a warm color scheme. You went with grey on the floor, right? Our laminate is a mix of grey, tan, beige and cappuccino/terracotta. The grey/green and warm terracotta look very good together.

Martine

Share |
ourmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 06, 8:13 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 15,123
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Nexus BB in bathroom

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

I would love to see pictures. We have afairly large foyer (6.75 ft. x 15.5 ft.) and it has natural stone (not completely smooth) which is predominantly gray with a slightly mauve-brown kinda color in it (very little). I keep thinking - blue goes with gray; green goes with brown. I love green's and I'm having a hard time picturing it with the gray. It would be an extreme pain to rip the whole floor out.

What do you all think?

I'd like to see some pictures of gray's with green's to change my mind.

Share |
laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 06, 9:19 pm  
IKEA holic

I like to think all colors work together if you stick with the same value. No one ever looks at a field of wildflowers and thinks "Oooh, I don't like fuschia with orange." If you like it, it works.

Share |
chabuchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 06, 5:49 am  
IKEA addict

Doorstyle: Applad/Stat
laurie: This is from our pre-reno kitchen, showing the current green (which is about a shade darker than what will be going up) with the floor still intact

chabuchie: I agree with you on the 'color mixes in nature idea'. Although I have read about color theory on occasion, it doesn't sink in...what does 'value' refer to? I have trouble with these concepts.

Martine

Share |
ourmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 06, 12:17 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 521
Gallery: 7
I picked up the serene grey marmoleum click planks this morning -- woo hoo! The old floor has been delayed from today to Wednesday removal-- I'm hopeful this is not one of many delays... The rest of the demo should be on Thursday.

Over the weekend, we moved the fridge and a freestanding cabinet to the dining room and our dining room table to the living room... We hope to eat breakfast at home; lunch out at schools/work and dinner at my Mom's starting on Wednesday.

We have been packing up lots of stuff, but had a big event we were helping with on Sunday night so didn't get as much done -- guess it's a good thing the floor was postponed.

I'll take some photos of the empty kitchen-- tonight or tomorrow night! I also have to get busy building the new cabs this week...

I did pick up some paint swatches at Benjamin Moore today-- I probably need to head over to look at the granite again with the swatches, cab door, backsplash etc... Carolina Plum was looking pretty good-- as was Split Pea, a color we have in our company office...

Share |
lisa02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
kitchenaid

Subscribe to IKEA News in Your Inbox:

Email:

Featured Kitchen Contractors

Recent Directory Listings

• iKitchens, Etc.
    We are the premier IKEA Kitchen Installer in Massachusetts. Our company offers complete in-house design service followed by an impeccable installation.
  • Semihandmade
    Custom. IKEA. Doors. The idea for Semihandmade came from a desire to offer the same craftsmanship we produce in our Los Angeles-based Handmade studio to a wider audience, at a lower price.
  • Our House, LLC
    Our House ‘takes the pain’ out of the design and installation process by providing hassle-free service every step of the way. Serving CT and the greater NYC area.
Help an IKEAFAN - Find Threads with Zero Replies