Old Kitchen
Image 6
(0 notes)

Plans

Kitchen Plans
Image 1
(0 notes)
Kitchen Plans by drtongue96
Click the plus button to add a note to any image on this page. Then, discuss the highlighted area in the thread below
NEW! Add YOUR notes to drtongue96's image!
Click the "+" button to add a note.
Loading tags ...
Add Note to Image
Add Note
Posted By drtongue96   |   Visit drtongue96's Gallery   |   Original image in the Project Blogs Gallery

Project Details:
Mission Statement for this Project:
Redo an ugly early 80's kitchen with something sharp and modern. And to have less dirty dishes.

List of Materials, Fixtures, Appliances, etc.
Lansa Handles
Grundtal Shelving and Rails
Framtid Electric Slide-In Range
New Renlig panel-ready diswasher
Range Hood from Rona

Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 28th, 09, 3:35 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 515
Gallery: 15
My IKEA: Canada-Calgary
Part 9 - Drawer ****

I love/hate these drawers.

I don't even have that many. I basically have 2 cabinets that have drawers. A 24 inch cab with three drawers, 2 deep, and 1 shallow (for silverware), and the 12 inch pull out drawer with it's 2 internal drawers.

Making the drawers was a snap. They give you a package for the dwawer part. It basically just snaps together, the sides, and the back, and then you slide the bottom in (make sure you put it the correct way). Then you are done that part.

Then in a seperate box(es), you'll have the fronts, in your chosen color. And these are good because they have pre-drilled holes. All you you have to do is screw in the 2 parts you need to connect it to the drawer. And then: voila, you snap on the drawer to the drawer front, and you basically have your drawer.

For my 24 inch cabinet, no problem. I found the glides and put them in the cabinet (again, with my screwdriver only), and I put the drawers in and they worked. They snapped shut though. Hey?

I found the dampers which were in a seperate box, and installed them all, and now I have the IKEA smooth close that everyone at the stores bugger around with when they are shopping.

I haven't put on handles yet, a future release to the thread/blog.

Now for that darn 12" cabinet. I"m quite upset about it. The drawers themselves (3 of them), no problem. The drawer front is ridiculous. They basically send you a door with big circles on one and two little holes that shouldn't be there. And they send you a plastic plug to plug the whole (which DOES NOT FIT) and two little plastic nubs which do fit. Those I got in with glue, so they aren't coming out.

And they give you a template to show you where to screw in the holes. It's fine on one side. The other, you're going to screw in exactly where the big circle is. This won't work! And the plastic piece is no good, and I know it won't work very well even if I COULD get the piece of plastic in there.

Off to Windsor plywood. A guy helped me there (I brought my door front) and they found some wooden dowel that was just a tiny bit smaller, I had to pay for 6 inches, but they cut me out 2 little discs, and I bought a .50 cent sample pack of wood stain so I could stain them after I glued.

It worked. Well, kind of, and not really. I DID glue the discs in, I DID stain them. They DID look good. But scewing in the screws with the template on that side DID not work good, and the screws were stripped and loose. I had to remove the screws, fill in with messy wood putty and try again.

I got it all installed and put it into my kitchen to see how it worked. I noticed it wasn't level, so I took it apart again, and realized those screws were loose. **** it.

Then just last night, instead of the woody putty fiasco, I tried the toothpic method. I glued about 15-20 woodpics into these screw holes and let them set overnight. This morning I carved it all out, made it as flat as possible and tried again.

I managed to screw it in, and it looked good, and felt tight, and I installed it just a few hours ago at lunchtime. Pulled it out, pushed it in, in out, in, out, shook it a little. Loose.

Sorry IKEA, this blows. You should have sent me a DRAWER FRONT for 12 inch cab, not a door and plastic plugs and a template. I hate it. Anyone have suggestions for this ongoing project?

Next is...Corner cabinet.

Share |
drtongue96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 09, 3:41 pm  
IKEA FAN

Part 10 - Corner Cabinet

I'm not finished my corner cabinet complete, but may get around to it tonight when Mr. FixIt goes home (he's hacking my kitchen up as I type, who knows what problems there'll be when I get home - info of that will follow)

Building the corner cabinet was not much harder than any others. It just takes maybe twice as long. You build a big one, a little one, and connect them. That's it. It IS quite heavy when it's done, so don't drag it on the floor.

When we installed it on the weekend, I actually had to take it apart (good thing I never glued anything) into the 2 pieces to bring it into the kitchen via the hallway, so keep this in mind. You may just want to spend an hour to build it in the kitchen near the corner, right before you do your base cabinets.

Anyways, cabinet installation is another entry (upcoming), so I'll skip to the cariousel that came with it. I thought it was going to be make of metal, based on instructions I downloaded before I got the kitchen. But it's two big pieces of wood, 2 strange wires, and some other pieces which I don't know much about.

The template has 2 purposes, for the bottom and the top. I cut it out, and installed the bottom piece. No issues, I put the wooden carousel pieces and the wire in as instructed.

Now that the counter top is basically put in (just yesterday), I can now use the template again, and put in the top piece and then install the rest of it. I'll let you know how that goes.

Now I'm going to back up a bit about the cabinet installation that just happened this past weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corner carousel.jpg (62.7 KB, 159 views)

Share |

Last edited by drtongue96; May 31st, 09 at 7:58 pm..
Old May 28th, 09, 4:09 pm  
IKEA FAN

Part 11 - Upper Horizontal cabinets

I'm only installing 4 cabinets on the wall, all flush and together on one of the walls of the 'L'. The other wall will have the range hood (I'm so scared of Mr. FixIt drilling a whole outside of my house), and grundtal shelving and rails and spice racks and magnetic knife holders and all that garbage.

So on Sunday, Mr. FixIt came over, and it was time to start installing the cabinets. I had finished painting, and the missing upper cabinet rails were finally delivered. (not really, as with most couriers, they come to your house when you're at work, and leave you a notice telling you to pick it up, which is what I had to do)

Only a few inches had to be cut off of each one. Mr. FixIt doesn't like hack saws (which is what I would have used), so he used some fancy saw he had. After 20 minutes of cutting, and breaking one of his blades, and probably burning himself from the hot metal, he had them cut.

He had the lines drawn on the wall, and attempted to install them. I think one of them was good, the other one, was off by 1/4 inch somehow. He missed the studs 1/2 the time, but got them on night and tight and they looked good.

I had hooked up my tripod and digital camera and made a time lapse video of this process, which is embarassing at best. You can see Mr. FixIt installing while I stand around and critique his every move, scratching myself, ech...I won't be posting that. But maybe some pictures very soon.

He loved the IKEA system. When the cabinets were put up, he managed to get them flush and level in an hour or two, which to him was quite good (and he is a rusher), but to me, I would have thought it would be a bit quicker.

Now at this point of writing, I THINK they are flush and level. I'm not going to put the doors on until the end, and then we'll see, but I do have pictures of the wall with the empty cabinets installed.

Next: base cabinets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horizontals.jpg (54.9 KB, 166 views)

Share |

Last edited by drtongue96; May 31st, 09 at 7:59 pm..
Old May 28th, 09, 4:38 pm  
IKEA FAN

Part 12 - Base Cabinets

There was still time left on sunday for the base cabinets. So the corner cabinet was brought in (in 2 pieces and put back together), the 2 24 inch cabinets (one for sink). The IKEA range was brought in and put in place, the 12 inch, and the dishwasher. I think on Sunday the corner got installed, and the 2 24-inch cabinets, and Mr. FixIt said they were level.

Now part of the problem with the base cabinets is this: we didn't use the ledger board as per the installation video. We just used the legs. I guess that's not a problem. Keep reading. Now the backs of these base cabinets have holes where you are supposed to screw in the screws into the wall. Now what if there is not stud there? Most of the time there isn't, so Mr. Fixit, just drilled holes wherever there was studs, so I got quite a few screw in all the cabinets at the back. I read you're supposed to use heavy duty drywall anchors for this. Maybe he didn't have any, so he screwed into the studs. I later made him put some screws into the holes anyways, and then we attached the plastic covers.

On Monday, the other 2 cabinets were installed. I guess the sink one was done monday too, while I was at work, because when I got home, Mr. FixIt had to really hack the back and sides of it to get the plumbing through, and I have some massive drain plumbing that apparantly has to stick around. And he installed the 12 inch cabinet, which is basically stand alone as it's at the end of the run beside the range.

Next is: the countertop fiasco, the saddest part of the story so far
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabinets and stove.jpg (78.1 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg sink wall cabinets.jpg (60.9 KB, 170 views)

Share |

Last edited by drtongue96; May 31st, 09 at 8:00 pm..
Old May 28th, 09, 4:53 pm  
IKEA FAN

Part 13 - the Counters

Mr. FixIt doesn't read instructions. Mr FixIt doesn't ask any questions. Mr. FixIt just wings it. He also doesn't know how to measure.

Now on to the saddest part of the story. I had delivered 2 Numerar countertops. They are 'concrete effect' on one side and black brown on the other. I was planning on using the concrete effect in my kitchen, so on Tuesday, we were trying to figure out how to do the 'join' of the two.

I read, and all the instructions say, to NOT mitre the cuts. We wanted them mitred. So Mr. FixIt wanted them cut to size for a professional countertop person to do it.

So on Tuesday at lunch, I helped him haul the two boxes of countertop into his van, and he took them away and I went to work.

A little later he calls and tells me we can't do a mitre, but have to do a butt because I don't have enough countertop. I had 2 96 inch pieces and one of my walls is 104 inches. Of course he's right. How could we be so stupid? So whatever. I'm not too concerned about it. As long as the seam looks ok.

At this company, they have some problems with thier machinery so it get delayed until yesterday, and he picks up the countertop Wednesday morning. I'm there at lunch and help him haul them back in and we put in place in the kitchen where they are supposed to go, scraping freshly painted drywall ("it's normal!" cries Mr. FixIt).

They look great. The 'concrete effect' are kind of grey but mostly brown, and when you look quick, they do look like concrete. I'm sold. I bought them just based on the words 'concrete effect', and from the catalogues etc...

I go to work. I come home. Now the sad part.

Mr. Fix It was supposed to do 2 cuts himself. The sink (that was done TODAY, which I haven't seen yet), and the slide-in range.

I walk in my kitchen, Mr. FixIt is unusually quiet. I take a look, everything looks ok, he's installed shims and even has attached the counter to the cabinets (I would have thout he'd do that AFTER installing the side panel beside the dishwasher and AFTER he'd put the sink hole in, but he was adamant this was the way it was done) (maybe the Handy Man way? his little company he works for is basically a co- op of handy men - remember I went for cheap)

Then I look at the oven cutout he's done. He's ruined one of the pieces of countertop. Rather than look at the instructions for how much the oven needs, or ask, he just winged it. He had the oven flush against the wall, which is should have been jutted out a bit. He cut it at least an inch two small. And then he made a 2nd cut, and I could tell his blade was no good and it's very badly damaged. So now, at the back of the stove, there is about 1 1/2 inches of counter, a big CRACK and then another slice of couter inch wide or so that is probably gllued on.

I didn't panic. We talked about it. He said he could probably find someone to fix it. He acknowledged his mistake. Mr. FixIt left shortly afterwards, and I went back to fighting with my 12 inch drawer front (still unresolved).

I phoned his company rep, and discussed with her what happened, without being too bitchy about it.

Next up: Counters part 2- what happened today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg damage 2.jpg (129.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg damage 4.jpg (106.9 KB, 88 views)

Share |

Last edited by drtongue96; May 31st, 09 at 8:01 pm..
Old May 28th, 09, 5:05 pm  
IKEA FAN

Part 14 - Counters II and Today

Today is not finished yet, so I'll probably post again tonight, and maybe you will see some pictures of the progress and failures of my project if I have time, which I probably won't, but I have a good reason, I'm going to my girlfriends house, and she's barbequing me a giant steak, and she knows how to barbecue, so there.

About 10:30 am this morning, I was concerned about my rotten counters which were so nice the previous lunchtime. I called FixIt rep lady, and she told me that had found someone to fix the counters. It's some outfit local to Winnipeg called Mobile Vinyl. Some dude travels around and fixes marina equipment and counters?

Ok. I am beat. I like these counters. The damage was done. It wasn't in the main area where I will be seldomly cooking. It's behind the stove where I will put salt and pepper shakers. I am happy if they get fixed. The bad news is that this guy is not available until June 8th.

Because I live in Winnipeg, the nearest IKEA is Minneapolis. I am not driving there and buying a counter, it won't fit in my car. The next nearest in my own country is Calgary . It's funny because I AM going to Calgary in June to buy IKEA stuff with my giftcard, but still, I don't want to buy a counter and drag it across country only for it to be ruined. Plus I'm oh so environmentally friendly (yeah, you shoulda seen how much garbage I've thrown out this year, never mind an old kitchen, 3 layers of flooring, and a window, and a stove, my brother-in-law took my old fridge for beer in the garage)

Ok. They are going to come June 8th to fix the counter. For now, the rest of the kitchen is plunging ahead. Hopefully June 8th will be the end of the kitchen story. I still have lots to do to finish it.

For Mr. FixIt: install range hood, dishwasher, sink, faucet, fix oven outlet so oven will fit (should have read instructions, Mr. FixIt, should have read instructions), filler piece, cover panels

Me: under-cabinet lighting, toe-kick (plinth), cabinet doors, cabinet fake dwawer, figure out my 12 inch cabinet, shelving, accessories, and my 'wall tattoo' which is going on the empty wall and will be a suprise. And build 3 more chairs. I also have to install 2 lighting fixtures, and do baseboards and trip. Oh my god...

Share |
Old May 29th, 09, 9:40 am  
IKEA FAN

Part 15 - Flooring

I'm going to have to backtrack a bit because I hadn't talked about the flooring in my kitchen.

Because of my floor being out of whack, well, the whole room being on a slope, maybe 3-4 inches, a new subfloor was built with plywood, shims, and 1x1's. This cost me about $90 in lumber. Mr. FixIt did a good job with this, and it took him a couple afternoons.

I had already planned on putting in laminate flooring, and had purchased 13 boxes of it for my kitchen and hallway, so after I had finished painting, this was my last step before installing the kitchen. I thought having the whole floor done before any cabinets would put some ease to the kitchen installation, and I think it's still a good idea. I guess you can floor around your cabinets too, but I chose that route.

It took me two sessions to install the flooring in the kitchen, I think 2 evenings. On a 3rd session, I installed part of the hallway that leads to the kitchen, I still have the other section of the hallway that leads to the bathroom and laundry room. That is coming up, maybe this weekend.

I had some practice with this. I had done one of my bedrooms a few months ago with a cheaper 7.2mm laminate which turned out all right. For my kitchen, I bought a good quality 12mm. It's some kind of 'exotic wood' look which I can't remember the name. There WILL be pics eventually. Installation was smooth, my kitchen is a rectangle, only thing I had to do was to cut out the bit for the heat register with a jigsaw.

I'll continue with my last nights activities in a seperate post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dirty floor.jpg (75.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg flooring.jpg (106.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg hallway to kitchen.jpg (56.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg hallway to dining room.jpg (50.0 KB, 63 views)

Share |

Last edited by drtongue96; May 31st, 09 at 8:03 pm..
Old May 29th, 09, 9:53 am  
IKEA FAN

Part 16 - Sink and my 12 inch cabinet

When I got home last night, Mr. FixIt was still there and finishing for the day (basically Mr. FixIt has a day job which he finishes in the morning somehow, and works 'extra' in the afternoon), he HAD installed the sink, and everything went good as far as I could tell. He had to hack out the 24 inch cabinet quite a bit to get it to fit. I have the 1 1/2 Boholmen sink and this is very tight fit, but he managed it somehow. Good for Mr. FixIt. I know that I would not have been able to do it.

He had to move the outlet for the range, the big 220v one down six inches. Because he hadn't looked at the range (even though it was sitting in my dining room the whole project), he thought it could go anywhere on the wall, but it couldn't, it was rubbing up against the wall, so he moved it down, got out his putty and knife and repaired it on my freshly painted walls. Who cares right? The stove is going to be against the wall. Plugged in the range, turned on the breaker. And somehow the breaker failed. Did it again, and then it worked. So my oven is now functional, but I won't be doing any cooking in there with all that sawdust still around.

We discussed the Range Hood and the sink. We wrote out a short list of junk I'd need to buy. Plumbing parts for underneat the sink, and a coupler to convert 1 1/2 plumbing to the 2 inch drain that I have, and a dishwasher piece, and some PVC I also needed a 6" vent for outside my house for the range hood, and the hose to move the air outside from the range hood.

I checked my 12 inch door front that I had trouble with. It was loose again, but this time, it was almost good news, it wasn't the side that I HAD fixed, it was the other side, I had stripped the screws. Out came the carpenters glue and toothpicks, and I set it to sit for the night.

Then I went to my gf's and she cooked me steak. Then I went to Home Depot and bought the parts, which are now in the kitchen waiting for Mr. FixIt when he arrives today.

Everytime I ask Mr. FixIt what his plan is for the next day, he usually lists off everything that has to be done to finish the job. Mr. FixIt doesn't have a clue. He won't finish today.

But I'm hoping tonight when I go home, that the plumbing is working, and the elecrical is working. The dishwasher hook up would be a bonus, as would the range hood. But it's coming along.

Hopefully tonight I can complete my 12 inch cabinet for good with it's toothpick fixes, and finish the carousel on the corner, get the doors on, and possibly put in the 'fake' drawer on the sink cabinet, and at least get the hinges ready for the doors. I also have a pull-out basked for my sink cabinet that I can partially install.

Plans for the weekend, is really to finish the kitchen and the flooring of my hallway. I will also need to touch up paint, do casing, and baseboards, light fixtures, and a wall decal (wall tattoo).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oven and cabs.jpg (77.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg sink wall cabinets.jpg (60.9 KB, 75 views)

Share |

Last edited by drtongue96; May 31st, 09 at 8:06 pm..
Old May 31st, 09, 7:50 pm  
IKEA FAN

Comments on tag "lower cabinets"

so dirty, good picture because you can see my old flooring

Share |
Old May 31st, 09, 7:51 pm  
IKEA FAN

Comments on tag "door style"

i know all of you are jealous of this. I still have my 'junk drawer'. For the highest bidder, I will send along the door front for your new kitchen

Share |

Comment