Go Back   IKEA FANS > Share > Project Blogs
Register Blogs Forum/Blog Search Mark Forums Read

Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Project Details:
Mission Statement for this Project:
I want to carve out a room within a room, mostly half-walled, using billy units. I want to run my plan by those with more experience in this kind of thing.

Old Feb 8th, 13, 9:47 pm   #1
decoratrice
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 400
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Charlotte
Question billy room within a room--am I nuts?

I want to carve out a semi-private work area within a large multipurpose room. Since I need a large amount of bookshelf space, I propose to do it with billy units. Visualize this: Start at a corner, and run 5 tall units along the wall, securing them to the wall and to each other (how does one do this?). At the end of the run, turn and build out across the floor like this: it basically looks like the corner solution combo in the catalogue. Diagonal tower, tower, two half height billys ending into the back of a 15.75" deep tall billy. This completes one free standing wall. Now attaching to the side of the deep tall unit, and running parallel to the aforementioned wall mounted billys, a tall tower and 3 half height billys. The end. Now I have a u-shaped work space made of billys.
Every unit not attached to the house wall, that is, those making up the free standing walls, will be attached to the floor and its neighbors. Somehow the deep tall unit will also be attached to the ceiling. There will be no kids or large dogs running around and bumping into things. Is this totally crazy?

Share |

decoratrice is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Comment

Tags
billy bookcase , free standing , free standing wall , room divider