No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Sep 1st, 07, 11:53 pm   #1
AdamBauer
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 250
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco
Question about return policy.

Alright here is my problem. I was in IKEA today looking for a "big girl" bed for my toddler. While looking at the beds in the past we've found that most toddler beds can use the old crib mattress. Sooo.... we find an employee and ask if the bed we are looking at can use a crib mattress. The employee says it does. So we buy it and bring it home. I open it and assemble it and then grab the old crib mattress and what do I find??? The the crib mattress is almost a foot too short. So technically the store employee wasnt lying as the crib mattress does "fit" on the new bed frame. They just neglected to mention that there would be about a foot of empty space at the bottom of the crib. The IKEA return policy says:

If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return the unused item in its original packaging within 90 days unless noted below. A receipt is required for all returns and exchanges.

Well, I'm within the 90days, I have the original packaging, the item is unused, I have the receipt, and I am NOT satisfied. However the packaging has been opened and I have assembled the item. Can I take the item apart, put it back in the original packaging and return it to the store and get my money back?

Oh and the store is the Frisco , Texas store.

Share |

AdamBauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Sep 2nd, 07, 12:38 am  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,701
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Re: Question about return policy.

the short answer is yes

sorry you had a bad experience, for what it is worth i doubt the employee was lying as much as just not answering correctly. the toddler bed probably fits an IKEA crib mattress.
I often find that people who don't have kids don't necessarily realize certain things, if the ikean was only trained in beds through ikea, s/he would only know their stock... regardless, you can return the bed (or buy an ikea toddler mattress, might end up being less expensive than a "big girl" bed elsewhere)
hth , and welcome to the site, even if it's not under the happiest of circumstances.

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 07, 1:18 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 17,440
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Avsikt/Kalsebo

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

At least here at Covina , they'll take it back even if it's assembled. Still need to keep the box, though.

The notion is that an assembled item is for certain complete and they could at least resell it in AS-IS to recoup some of the sales without much effort. When folks disassemble an item again, they would often reassemble it to sell in AS-IS; if it's not complete, they end up having to throw it into the handyperson's corner and only getting back pennies on the dollar.

Considering calling the store and asking first ... it may save you the time to undo everything and repackage it.

Share |
Please note that all advice, information, and layouts provided by forum members on this site was done on a voluntary basis and out of kindness of their hearts. If you appreciate the help you received, please support this site and donate to keep it going.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 07, 7:57 am  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 1,738
Gallery: 51
My IKEA: USA-New Haven
Doorstyle: Adel Medium Brown

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!

I would call the store. I've had some returns where it's been smooth sailing and some where the Ikean has been a stickler for the rules - no receipt, no return, past 90 days, no return

I would agree that the Ikean you talked to probably meant that the Ikea crib mattress would fit in the toddler bed.

Good luck.

Share |
jgsearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 09, 11:03 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Round Rock

Please call the store first. Many times Ikea will define "used" as "built" since they cannot tell how much an item has been used once it's been built. And yes, it is still considered built even if you take it apart and put it back in the box.

Share |
ikea_returns_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment