No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Dec 28th, 07, 1:07 am   #1
tobeyslocat
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 90
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Burbank
Allerum Slipcovers wanted

Hi there - I am looking for Allerum slipcovers - and if I can't find any (there's one really expensive listing at an Ebay store - uh, no) I am considering making my own although that would be the most ambitious sewing project ever for me.
I literally would have to get out a book to know how to set up my grandmother's sewing machine before I could do the project .... so it might be easier to just find some Allerum slipcovers! LOL .

Thoughts?

Thanks a million! Tobey

Share |

tobeyslocat is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Dec 28th, 07, 9:16 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 70
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Costa Mesa
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Re: Allerum Slipcovers wanted

Hi Tobey,

According to the IKEA brochure for the sofa - http://www.ikea.com.sg/buying_guides/ALLERUM.pdf - the name of the slip cover is DUVERYD.

I do see one person posted a Want It Now request on Ebay way back at the end of Oct. Hmm. Not encouraging.

I thought this was a fairly new sofa style. Say it ain't so and IKEA is removing it from it's product list already?

When did you last see the slipcovers in the store? Could there be just one hanging out in the As-Is Section?

Last resort could be begging Bemz to add one to their line of IKEA slipcovers. It looks like there is enough demand out there to warrant them making a pattern for it.

Share |
climber_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 07, 9:37 am  
IKEA FAN

Thank you Nicole -

I have had this sofa for at least five years and been able to wash the covers with no problem (not putting them in the dryer of course) but lately one of my cats has begun shredding the cover and it has also gotten pretty old and sun faded after all this time. Washing no longer refreshes it that much.

I have not been in an Ikea in a while as we moved pretty far away, but my researches show that this sofa has indeed been discontinued - probably towards the end of 2006. Searches for the precise cover name produce even fewer results than the sofa name - LOL - so I have stuck with the sofa name.

I understand that discontinued slipcovers can be available on a store by store basis, but that info is not available online. And apparently store personnel do not necessarily dig around if you are not there in person - so I feel stuck. I can not drive 250 miles one way on the off chance a cover will be there! LOL.

I started to ask Bemz, but thought that sounded like a slow solution. Have others found them to be quick?

Thanks much Nicole - I appreciate your reply!

Tobey

Share |
Old Apr 20th, 08, 12:34 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-Pittsburgh

For someone who has some sewing experience, this cover should be trivial to make.

Look at the cover for the bed, for example. It has three pieces. The main piece is a rectangle with velcrow along the longer edges. The two smaller, side pieces, are ovals. That's it.

Instead of the zipper, you can use more velcrow.

The backrest has the exact same shape.

Share |
Ty483uj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 08, 12:43 pm  
IKEA FAN

Thanks Ty - I have never been much of a sewing maven, but even I think I might be able to handle this project. Thank you for the encouragement!

Tobey

Share |
Old May 13th, 08, 10:29 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge

Yes, but unless you use really cheap fabric, it will cost $150-$200 just to buy enough yardage to make the cover. Same price as the covers on ebay!

Share |
suez75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment