Go Back   IKEA FANS > Welcome to IKEAFANS > Why IKEA?
Register Blogs Forum/Blog Search Mark Forums Read

Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Nov 8th, 06, 3:00 pm   #1
hockeymom4
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
We have bought a home that needs some remodeling work and will be moving in about 4 weeks. We want to install a built in entertainment unit in our family room. Our carpenter suggested we use cabinets as the base. We only need it to be 15 to 18 inches deep because we will be getting a flat screen tv. We looked at ordering 18 inch deep vanity cabinets from the local big box store (here it's Menards). But they take six weeks to arrive and we want the mess done before we move in.

So we are looking at the unfinished oak kitchen ones they have in stock. We would need 2 18" one drawer one door, and 2 30' one drawer one door. We have also considered Ikea because we could get the boxes right away but since we don't need the 24' depth, we wouldn't be able to get any drawers or pullouts. When using only these very basic cabinets, base cabinets with just 2 doors, is there still a reason to prefer Ikea? We will have to cut down the depth of either from 24 to 18. We may look into installing slide out drawers to hold dvd's.

Share |

hockeymom4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Nov 8th, 06, 3:31 pm  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 1,721
Gallery: 10
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:College Park
Doorstyle: white painted tidaholm
Have a look at the bathroom line which is less than 24" deep. But I wouldn't take 24" deep kitchen base cabinets and cut them down to 18' deep. I think you would lose both structural integrity and function.

Share |
Old Nov 8th, 06, 3:34 pm  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 1,721
Gallery: 10
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:College Park
Doorstyle: white painted tidaholm
What about Pax? It comes in 20" deep. Would that work?

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=80103985

Share |
Old Nov 8th, 06, 8:14 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 390
Doorstyle: Adel Medium Brown
"Save big money at Menards" (giant clench-toothed smile on white-haired guy)

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I haven't seen a Menards commercial for probably five years, since I was in college in IL, but that guy always cracked me up.

I actually believe that you could cut down the 24" cabinet to 18", if you did it carefully, replicating the holes for the attachment hardware and such. I have read somewhere that they have 12" deep drawers now, but that would still leave you with some dead space that is not used.

Good luck with your project.

Share |
jenplocher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 06, 6:57 am  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 4,125
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Burbank
Doorstyle: Arlig. 2009: changing 1/2 to Nexus Brown
I've been blogged!
Do you like an Ikea door style? If so, you can have the cabinet box built and use the Ikea doors and drawer fronts. You will need to use a cabinet company that builds "Euro" style boxes and is familiar with the 35mm system.

I've done this for several customers.(I design fora Euro cabinet company.) If you want help in doing this email me seperately for more info. There is one glitch that will need addressing.

Share |
Shouva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 06, 9:27 am  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 90
Doorstyle: Applad/Stat
Another potential option is Effectiv: they are file depth, stackable, can be fitted with doors or drawers or even drawers behind doors. They are also very sturdy (I have them in my home office).

Martine

Share |
ourmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 06, 9:33 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 90
My IKEA: USA-Baltimore
Doorstyle: Adel Med. Brown on CAPITA legs
How comeyou want kitchen cabinets rather than something like a regular entertainment center? BONDE is nice, and is 16" deep, although their suggested combination is not as long as what you're describing- I'll try to paste an image below. If you like the idea of it having toekick around the bottom, I'm sure you could order AKURUM legs and your choice of toekick finish via the kitchen department and fit it out that way.

Share |
nicollet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 06, 9:59 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Thanks for all the replies. We are trying to construct a built-in. An example is at this website https://secure1.csz.com/twoscointeri...&chain=1:5. Click on Concerto Plan 4. We just need the base cabinets. Our carpenter is going to build the top shelf units. I have looked at the bathroom cabinetsand Pax units. They don't come in the widths we need. I haven't checked the Effectiv line. The Bonde unit isn't the look we are going for, we like the more traditional. And we don't have time to custom build the base cabinets, which is why we are looking at Ikea and what the big box stores stock.

I don't want to sound ungrateful for your much appreciated suggestions. We just didn't plan far enough ahead for this.

We are still trying to figure something out.

Diane

Share |
hockeymom4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
bonde , shelving