Go Back   IKEA FANS > Welcome to IKEAFANS > Why IKEA?
Register Blogs Forum/Blog Search Mark Forums Read

Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 10th, 07, 2:00 am   #1
snookums
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Costa Mesa
Doorstyle: Kaselbo laundry room, 2 Pax closets, all-Ikea playroom, and soon, all-Ikea scraproom
Ikea announces kitchen cabinets to soon be made by SAUDER (nooooooooooooo!)

http://www.positivefanatics.com/2007..._to_produ.html

I sure hope they aren't now going for the Walmart/Target-esq quality that every piece of Sauder furniture that I've thrown away has displayed.

Share |

snookums is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 10th, 07, 2:04 am  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
thanks snookums.

for not so good news.

but i'm going to hope that they'll still be building to ikea standards...

suck!

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 07, 7:15 am  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!
So, the cabinets for North America were all made in Europe or a single source? This could simply be a strategy to improve service to our continent. Also, not sure how Sauder is doing, might be a deal that has them retool their entire production line- you as said- to IKEA standards. If they can overcome the reality (and the very important perception) of poor quality, this could be a lifesaver for both companies.

Thanks for the info!!

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 07, 9:19 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 290
My IKEA: USA-Detroit:Canton
Doorstyle: Adel White
Okay, the article said they will start manufacturing the frames and the shelves. Since IKEA loves to tout how strong their shelves are I can't imagine them accepting lower quality. This is just probably IKEAs way of reducing shipping costs even more, as now the boxes are made in eastern Europe.

If Sauder was making the hardware, then I would get nervous!

Nicole

Share |
nigel-bigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 07, 2:22 pm  
Installer

iKarma: 18,053
Gallery: 51
Doorstyle: Kalsebo, Arlig Beech
I've been blogged!
I just hope they don't end up having to recall the frames for "quality issues" ... (do the words Hallarum and Nexus BB ring a bell?)

Share |
wd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 07, 3:51 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,740
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!
Quotes from the article:

Quote:
By mid-year, Sauder Woodworking Co. plans to start manufacturing frames and shelves for kitchen cabinetry sold by the Sweden-based home-furnishings retailer Ikea, under a contract Kevin Sauder, president and chief executive officer, said he hopes will be "the first of many."
Quote:
Mr. Sauder said the contract, announced yesterday, resulted from seven months of working with Ikea on specifications for the components, made until now in Eastern Europe.
Quote:
For now anyway, Sauder will not make the actual cabinets, but rather "the guts" that go into them," the CEO said.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 07, 6:37 pm  
IKEA FAN

Hi.

This is terrible news. Of all the cab boxes I got they were all made in Armenia. They spec right to the cue. For kitchen cabinets this is a must. Those Target Sauder stuff just wont cut it even tho they make the same type of particle board faced stuff.

I guess I am kind of lucky I bought them before they went wire. I sure hope these hinges and door fronts dont go the same route. IMHO , that will only destroy the quality branding products IKEA has already established.

If I read correctly, the packaging cut boards are all made in China. Does that mean they shipped those cut boards from China to Eastern Europe and then package contents there then shipped the whole thing to U.S.A. ?

Share |
cinamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 07, 7:33 pm  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!
hinges are made by Blum Hardware, i don't imagine that will change.
And IKEA isn't going to accept a lower quality from Sauder. And even though Sauder has a (deservedly) bad name they can make quality, it's just everytime i've seen something higher quality from them it doesn't sell at there price point they set. This might be a good thing in the end. They'll retool, that factory will get busy and create more jobs. I would imagine the Eastern European factories would still operate to fulfill the market in that area.
I'm going to look at this as a necessary growth and ikea has always been good about building upon experience, their quality tends to go up while their prices go down.

let's not sit around like a bunch of chicken littles. the sky isn't falling folks

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 07, 11:08 am  
Rob
IKEA FAN

Anyone know when this will hit the stores?

I have been patrolling this site (which is fantastic - to the users and the creators of this site - you guys rock!) for a few months now. My wife and I have been planning and budgeting for our kitchen remodel and are almost in a position to start making purchases. We were sooo pleasantly surpised and relieved to know that we didnt have to go with the 9k Kraftmaid cabinets to get nice quality cabinets for our kitchen (our Ikea estimate is currently about 4k).

This news concerns me a bit.... I work for a manufacturing company and I know that it is NOT uncommon for quality to take a hit when a new supplier is contracted (because they have simply not done or have experience on what exactly needs to be set up/operations for consistent quality to be produced for the new product). I would agree the sky isn't falling but I would consider the forecast to be cloudy until we actually see sunny skies.

All that said, does anyone know how long I have to make a purchase and still get the "old" stock?

Share |
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 07, 1:39 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,055
Gallery: 127
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 8

Hi Rob and Welcome to IKEAFANS! Thanks for the compliment - it's always so nice to hear positive feedback. Thank you.

My concern about Sauder taking over is what Rob said about there being a difficulty in getting up to speed, but more than that would be the concern that a North American company taking over production for North America will not keep to the ultra-stringent German standards for off-gassing and so forth. Hopefully IKEA's committment to the environment will take precedence over any cost savings in this area. We need green.

Susan

Share |

Comment