Go Back   IKEA FANS > Welcome to IKEAFANS > Why IKEA?
Register Blogs Forum/Blog Search Mark Forums Read

Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 16th, 06, 10:29 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 70
Gallery: 0
My first post here!

Our IKEA seems to have pretty high prices in the AS IS department but I've found a few good buys over the years. My favorite is probably a Poang chair with natural canvas cushions for $50 (they'd just annouced AS IS was half price for the rest of the evening). I think the Poang chair is the most comfortable chair ever.

We lived in Denmark for a year and used to go to the IKEA just north of Copenhagen regularly because we were redoing a kitchen and because it was about the only afforable store there for everything else. Their AS IS was great! We got two metal folding chairs for a few dollars each (they're called "clap chairs" there, but in Danish, of course---a Danish friend translated it as "applause chairs" which promptly became part of our family lexicon!). Also got a really arty-looking little side chair for $11---black, narrow back, trapezoidal seat---not comfy to sit on but makes a great accent piece.

It seems like the best time to hit AS IS is late on a Monday or early on Tuesday. They seem to clearthe moststuff out after the weekend blitzes are over. Is that just my IKEA or are others that way?

Share |
blanchois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 06, 8:19 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,680
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Welcome, blanchois! We're glad you've joined us!

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 06, 9:53 am  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 70
My IKEA: USA-New York:Elizabeth
Years ago, we had great luck in the as-is room buying slightly scratched end tables and shelved in unfinished wood. We intended to "distress" and paint them anyway, so the scratches actually saved us a few steps!

Share |
nyc_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 06, 7:23 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 13,955
Gallery: 127
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 8

We went to IKEA with the intent of purchasing a cheap computer table for the SesameStreet.com dedicated computer today. I'd seen it in the catalog for $40, seemed like a good deal -- not my favorite style, but doable for a semi-temporary piece for the kids to abuse.

Introducing MIKAEL:

Found one, practically new in the AS-IS for 30% off. Bonus? No assembly required. I think it's last year's model, because it's beech and all that's listed this year (in the catalog) is white, birch, red and black-brown, but that's ok by me! It does have a small ding in the right side, but it's so well camoflauged that we didn't even notice it in the store. We're planning on attaching a side mounted file holder there that will cover it handily.

Cheers for the AS-IS room!
Susan

Share |
Old Mar 1st, 06, 3:37 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 150
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Carson

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Thanks everyone for introducing me to the As-IS room. I went last night to our local one and found 18" shelves for upper cabs for .50 !!! It's fantastic!!! Thanks again for the great tip.

Oh they also had a pretty good childrens toy box thingie that was made from some sort of wood. it was darker than pine and If I had room in my shack, i'd have probably bought it.

Share |
websmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 06, 4:33 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,680
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Super! I have the Mikael desk for my DD , which I put in front of a tall bookcase to give her a built in sort of look. I set one of the shelves at the exact height of the desktop to give her a place to put her boxes of stuff that was accessible but off the desktop. Hers is that pale blue-gray, which matches her walls almost perfectly. She's got the TOVIK loft bed and the pullout sofabed from IKEA.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 06, 4:13 pm  
Moderator; Member #123

iKarma: 10,898
Gallery: 53
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Lidingo (+ Hallarum in master suite)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!
Varde alert!! The Seattle Ikea today had a huge assortment of Varde freestanding cabinets in the as is room. Good thing I don't need a kitchen or I'd still be there trying to choose They also had Talbo and Udden items, and a bench seat in Backebo, made of 2 over-fridge cabinets. I think they've been removing display stuff. More than the usual array of kitchen materials.

They also had a nice Fagerland plate rack, a huge Lillestad cover panel for $25, and light pine decorative molding strips for $1 a piece.

Kathy

Share |
kmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 06, 10:54 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 615
Gallery: 9
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
I've been blogged!
I got the right hand KRAMFORS chaise (how it's "scratched" I could not see) in AS IS for $360.

Normal retail $699.

*does happy dance and collapses on sexy new chocolate brown chaise lounge*

Share |
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 06, 8:32 pm  
Moderator; Member #123

iKarma: 10,898
Gallery: 53
Doorstyle: Lidingo (+ Hallarum in master suite)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!
Great day at the as is room! I went to get a counter for my in-progress sewing room, prepared to pay retail,and found some great stuff:
  • faux marble pragel 8' counter - $20
  • 36" 4-drawer base in Ulriksdahl - $40
  • a full set of Hallarum 36" drawer fronts and side panel (so I can abandon the Ulriksdahl, which is cool, but doesn't go with anything I have) - $8
I think I'll putthe 36" base with the 2 pantries I found on Craigslist for my bedroom divider wall. If not there, it's going in the sewing room, somehow. I really bought it because it will hold the "ironing board of my dreams" in one of the top drawers! I'm so excited! (Don't get me wrong - I don't actually iron if I can help it, but that's gotta be one of the coolest Ikea contraptions ever.)

Stacy - they had a set of 4 15" drawer fronts in Adel brown, FWIW .

Kathy

Share |
kmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 06, 2:16 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,318
Gallery: 109
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Adel Med. Brown / Laundry: Applad White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!
We don't have any 15" drawers - otherwise I'd be sending DH down... but THANK YOU for thinking of us...

Share |
stacylu is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
besta , ikea , malm , markor , tromso