Go Back   IKEA FANS > Welcome to IKEAFANS > Why IKEA?
Register Blogs Forum/Blog Search Mark Forums Read

Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jan 24th, 06, 10:27 pm   #1
GardenOfDarwin
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,055
Gallery: 127
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 8

Perhaps it's true. Perhaps there are some people who don't know about the AS-IS room.:shock: I feel it my duty and obligation to inform you of this fabulous place where all your fantasies may just come true....

The AS-IS room is our first destination always. ALWAYS. Well, ok...sometimes we drop the kids off in Smalland first. Ok...we always drop the kids off first. Then the bathroom. But then. Then, it's straight to the AS-IS room. Backwards through the check-out lines, ignoring all IKEA attempts to herd us like sheep through the showroom, marketplace, warehouse -- the experience. Into the place where dreams may...

Ok, so it's a room with lots of returns, discontinued items, displays, and so forth for pennies on the dollar! Here's an assortment of items we've gotten over the years in the AS-IS room:
  • 12" Rationell drawer boxes for Akurum kitchen cabinets - $10/ea
  • 2 tall Billy Bookcases in beech -- $10/ea (no kidding, $10 EACH)
  • solid wood rolling office chair -- $30
  • 24" x 24" Pronomen countertop -- $5
  • 2 sets of white tab top curtains, floor length (88"?) -- $2 each set
  • wood blinds that go perfectly in our paneled office -- $10/set
Those are just the ones I can think of through my Nyqui-induced haze! We usually end up hitting the AS-IS room coming and going...just can't bear to leave the store without checking back in to see what's new. Do you too?

What are your favorite finds? Best bargains? BOLO's?

Susan

Share |

GardenOfDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 25th, 06, 8:38 am  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 84,312
Gallery: 2962
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

BOLO's? I'm guessing you're not referring a a giant self aware robot/tank? Sorry, BOLO is a reserved word for Sci/Fi readers... Keith Laumer's BOLO series has been around for quite a while. Given that that's an unlikely meaning for the word in this context... What's it an acronym for? :?

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 06, 8:41 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

Be On the LookOut for...it's a PO -lice thing. But since I read true crime, and you read sci-fi, I can see where you'd go wrong on that one.

Susan

Share |
Old Jan 25th, 06, 3:45 pm  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 340
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Adel Birch
Okay, am I retarded (wait, don't answer that)? I've never seen it! Is the "as is" room in the same place in all Ikeas and if not, does anyone know where the one in Tempe is?

Share |
dede4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 06, 3:56 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

No, I don't think it's in the same place, especially since not all IKEA's are the same shape. If noone else here has been to the one in Tempe and can tell you, next time you go, just ask! Just be prepared...you might find yourself toting something home that you had no previous plans for!

Susan

Share |
Old Jan 25th, 06, 6:13 pm  
Moderator; Member #123

iKarma: 10,898
Gallery: 53
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Lidingo (+ Hallarum in master suite)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!
You can often find doors and drawers there, which makes it an easy way to bring home samples for a dollar or two. I know you can buy a door retail and return it, but I found "as is" with no return a much easier system.

Kathy

Share |
kmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 06, 11:18 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 1,213
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Arlig Beech
I got one more tea-light holder for 10 cents. I wanted some more, but didn't want to pay $5 for 4. One more was perfect. I use them for catsup and soy sauce.

Share |
Apri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 06, 9:41 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

Apri -- I use mine for salt and pepper when I'm working with raw meat...I put a large pinch or two in the cup, then don't have to stick my hand into the salt pig or handle my pepper grinder with chicken hands! Wonder if they have any idea....?

Susan

Share |
Old Jan 31st, 06, 2:43 pm  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 340
Doorstyle: Adel Birch
Okay, I found the room. I got 12" shelves for .99, I got a chair cover that might or might not work for $4.99. They have some 12" Tidholm Oak doors with glass for 2.99 but I didn't get any. Most of my room was big 1/2 put together furniture. Very few cute little things!

Share |
dede4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 06, 8:51 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
I got two shelves for the 24 inch wall cab for $2!! I was very happy with that purchase. Bought a couple of pretty glass candleholders for a dime each. They had several DUVBO doors there, a couple of HALLARUM and a STAT WHITE. They also seemed to have quite a bit of new stuff in boxes that had damage on the boxes themselves. They had attached a picture of each item to the front of the box, which I thought was a nice thing to do.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
besta , ikea , malm , markor , tromso