LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jan 5th, 08, 11:47 pm   #1
msdecorator
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 130
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Question Where do I get the gathering tape for Kvartal?

I thought I had read that one could stitch gathering tape on one's own fabric, so as to be able to hang curtains (gathered, not panels) on Kvartal. However, I could not find any gathering tape for sale in my local Ikea store? If Ikea doesn't make it, can one use a drapery tape purchased from a generic sewing store?

Share |

msdecorator is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 12th, 08, 1:15 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,570
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Re: Where do I get the gathering tape for Kvartal?

Any that you find in the drapery supply section of a fabric store would work, or you could make your own with a twill or bias tape tube stitched across the top of the panel and threaded through with a string, although in that case you'd need to sew on something additional or leave gaps in the twill tape that would let you hook the drape to the kvartal nubbins. The difference with the IKEA stuff is that the strings are exposed at intervals so it can go right on to the kvartal hooks.

Share |
splatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 08, 2:04 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton

I have the same problem and am wondering how you were able to solve the problem. I just spend $1100. in the Kvartal system and now want to do sheers that are gathered and not on a flat panel sliding along in one of the triple tracks. Any help in finding the Kvartal gathering tape or any gathering tape for that matter?

Share |
robo-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 08, 11:12 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 130

I went through a lot of permutations in my mind, but wound up using Ikea flat panels for my sheers and Ikea draperies that were already set up with the Kvartal gathering tape for the thick drapes. I will mention my experience because if anyone has any further tips for me, I am eager to hear.

1. The Kvartal rod went up with no trouble at all. I did have to join two rods together, and that was not difficult. However, there is some stickiness as the nubbins cross over the joint. I have to feed them one-by-one. I wonder whether anything can be done about that.

2. The sheers on flat panels work great for light and privacy at the same time. Each panel overlaps the next by a couple of inches. Therefore, naturally, you would like to have each one hanging absolutely vertical -- otherwise, they are going to look a bit crooked because the light is shining right through and showing the overlap and it will look ridiculous if it is not straight. On the first go, I got a couple of them right and a couple crooked. I think it is a question of making absolutely sure the little bars (to which the fabric is attached) go all the way into the crosswise slats that are holding them before you screw everthing down with the tiny screws. I have not fine-tuned this yet.

3. I need just one of my sheer panels to slide. It does slide, but is a bit bumpy. I haven't figured out what it would take to make it slide freely. (Nothing you say to it will help.)

4. For the thick drapes, you have to put the nubbins into the bottom loops on the gathering tape if you want to have enough header to cover the rod. However, if you do this, the top (header) of the drape tends to flop outward and look a bit silly (even if you space the nubbins very closely). When you have the drapes open wide, so that they are squished together, they look fine. When you close them, though, the floppiness on top is bothersome at least to my eye.

5. As far as I can tell, there is no way to attach a push-wand to the drapes. So think about that in deciding whether this system will work in a particular location -- you will have to be able to move the drapes by hand. The wand will attach to the sliding flat panels OK, but, as noted, the movement is a little bumpy.

6. I think that fabric stores have always sold a type of drapery tape that is set up to accept very large pins for traditional pinch-pleated draperies. However, this stuff is just different than the tiny Ikea Kvartal nubbins.

7. Dear Ikea, please sell the gathering tape. Some of us would actually like to make lined drapes, which means we need to be able to install the gathering tape on our own.

8. Last -- I think this system would sell like hotcakes if Ikea would either perfect the minor problems or provide clear instructions on how to optimize one's installation. The concept is brilliant.

Share |
msdecorator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 08, 11:45 pm  

iKarma: 32,570
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

I think it would be fairly simple to make your own gathering tape using prepurchased bias tape or twill tape to make a casing with some thin drapery cord threaded through. Sewing is involved, which I realize isn't up everyone's alley but this would also give you the ability to fine tune the height of the cord at the top of the panel and maybe remediate the "flopping" issue you described.

Another idea instead of the combination described above is the tape you can buy, pre made, that has small plastic rings sewn to it at regular intervals and is typically used for making roman shades. I would guess the rings are probably too far apart for it to work as is, but it could be modified to work somehow, I'd think.

Share |
splatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 08, 9:53 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton

I think you may be having trouble with the tape because you are looking at pinch pleat tape, not pencil pleat tape. There is a difference between the two. The threads that are exposed for the hooks are closer together in pencil pleat tape than they are in pinch pleat tape. Ikea Stoughton has a beautiful kitchen window with the brown and blue Stockholm curtain panels (with the leaves and acorns) hanging from hooks on each side, with beige Anno Sanela straight panels in the middle behind them (kind of like having shades behind curtains). I was really impressed with it. It looked very neat, not floppy at all. When I looked at the inside, I saw that the hooks are attached to the top string of the tape, rather than the bottom. I almost wondered if they had trimmed the top edge of the fabric to make it closer to the tape, but couldn't tell for sure. Next time I'm there, I'll check.

I also noticed that Ikea recently changed their website to include more information about kvartal. In one example, they put the curtains on the hooks on the single track, with the panels on a triple track behind the single track. They had a gap in between the two tracks so that the curtains would not get caught on the panels. They show the curtain header as covering the top of the single rod, but the Ikea display I liked did not do it this way.

Cindy

Share |
cindyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 08, 7:41 pm  

iKarma: 85,031
Gallery: 49
Doorstyle: Adel Birch (kitchen); Applad White (office); Liljestad??(wallbed)

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

There are lots of different types of gathering tapes available, like these:
WEBBING AND TRIMMING

The reason your drapes are flopping over at the top is due to the weight of the fabric. The lower string hooking over the 'nubbins' acts like a "hinge" almost. Commercial draperies often use a paper-like tape in the upper 3-5" of curtains to provide extra stiffness so they don't flop over.

Pin-on Drapery hooks might also help. They have a very sharp point to go thru all the layers of gathered fabric and a long shaft to help support the weight of the fabric at the top. These are readily available in fabric and hardware stores, places like Wal-Mart/KMart/Target, etc.

Minimal sewing: Hand-sew a small metal ring (like a keychain split-ring, etc.) to the curtain near the end, thru the gathering tape. Now you have a place to attach a draw-rod. (you want it fairly close to the first set of rollers, and thru the tape to provide support and stability)

Share |
RubrikGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 08, 12:21 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 150
My IKEA: USA-San Diego

Hi,

I just bought enough of the Kvartal system to curtain off a 12ft x 7ft area of a room with the ceiling fixtures, the glider hoods, the whole works. I have a question about what else I need to hang up my curtains. I plan on buying curtain/gathering tape. Is there anything else I need to put up the curtains? Would I just hang the string in the gathering tape onto the kvartal glider hooks? I think that's how they did it in a display at Ikea. Also, should I get the 2 inch gathering tape or the 3 inch wide one? And does anyone have recommendations for what kind of screws I should get for the ceiling fixtures? And should I worry about finding a stud in the ceiling? My "curtains are just flat sheets I bought at a thrift store.. Would this be too heavy for the Kvartal system? Sorry about all the questions, I don't have much experience with these kind of things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Share |
esmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 08, 12:06 pm  

iKarma: 85,031
Gallery: 49
Doorstyle: Adel Birch (kitchen); Applad White (office); Liljestad??(wallbed)

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

1) Gathering tape: yes, I think you'll be ok with hanging the curtain from a string. You can experiment with different "heights" by using different strings in the rows. Although you'll probably want to avoid using the very bottom string to help prevent the top from flopping over.

Width depends on how much you want gathered at the top: 2"- or 3" worth. This is more a personal design decision. Either one will work fine with simple cotton sheeting.

Sheeting will *not* be too heavy.

2) Screws. It would probably be better to have at least one screw in a stud, but I don't think you'll 100% require it. You'll need screws for whatever material your ceiling is - drywall? If so, then you'll want drywall anchors - plastic sleeves you tap into a hole you've drilled into the drywall so the screw has something to 'bite' into; or 'molley bolts' - usually for heavier applications, they insert into a larger pre-drilled hole and there are 'wings' that expand on the other side of the drywall to anchor the screw.

Whatever anchoring system you choose (there are more than the above mentioned) you'll want to make sure the screw heads themselves don't extend into the track and impede the movement of the gliders is all.

Your thrift-store sheets should be easy to work with; they're absolutely light-weight enough you'll only need minimal ceiling-mount hardware such as the tap-in plastic sleeves.

Share |
RubrikGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment