No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 28th, 08, 12:31 pm   #1
tvmatt
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Pittsburgh
MALM Bed Frame + non-Ikea mattress

I'm looking at buying the MALM bed frame (full/double sized), but was wondering about mattresses. I noticed that MALM's dimensions are smaller than a standard full size mattress:

MALM Bed Frame Mattress length: 74 3/8 "
MALM Bed Frame Mattress width: 53 1/8 "

A normal full or double size mattress is 75" by 54", though. Will non-Ikea mattresses work in this bed frame?

Thanks in advance!

Share |

tvmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 28th, 08, 1:45 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 17,440
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Avsikt/Kalsebo

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!
Re: MALM Bed Frame + non-Ikea mattress

The bedframes will work with standard sized mattresses.

The mattress dimensions are nominal anyways, and differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Share |
Please note that all advice, information, and layouts provided by forum members on this site was done on a voluntary basis and out of kindness of their hearts. If you appreciate the help you received, please support this site and donate to keep it going.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 08, 10:23 am  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: Canada-Vancouver:Coquitlam

I have a standard queen matress and box spring that i must use.. will it be able to fit into the frame?

Share |
Kalessandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 08, 11:22 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 17,440
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Avsikt/Kalsebo

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

A box spring will make it quite tall, but it'd still fit.

Many Ikea bedframes are to be used without boxsprings, as the slats serve the purpose of providing the support underneath.

Share |
Please note that all advice, information, and layouts provided by forum members on this site was done on a voluntary basis and out of kindness of their hearts. If you appreciate the help you received, please support this site and donate to keep it going.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 08, 10:04 pm  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge

so the bed will still work with the MALM bed frame? I'm having the same question, as i just purchased a mattress and box spring but i really want the MALM....

So i wouldnt need to buy the slatted bed base right? just use the box spring?

now...with the box spring, would the mattress be way too high above the bed and just slide off?

Share |
krispykreme04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 08, 3:06 pm  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykreme04 View Post
so the bed will still work with the MALM bed frame? I'm having the same question, as i just purchased a mattress and box spring but i really want the MALM....

So i wouldnt need to buy the slatted bed base right? just use the box spring?

now...with the box spring, would the mattress be way too high above the bed and just slide off?

I am currently using the MALM with both a mattress and box spring. I still purchased the slatted base so that I would have the option to change the look of my bed whenever I wanted.

The boxspring emerges about an inch above the frame. Placing a mattress on top of it does not cause it to slide when sleeping, but it does move around when I make up the bed. The movement is nominal and of course easily corrected. I like the look of the bed a lot better without a boxspring, but it still looks quite nice with one. Buy the base and keep your options open.

Share |
cocotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 08, 4:34 am  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: Belgium-Brussels:Zaventem

The slats in the MALM bed of my daughter move during the night and fall off the support. What did we do wrong? Slats, bed and matress are IKEA.

Share |
cschupp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 08, 7:59 pm  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschupp1 View Post
The slats in the MALM bed of my daughter move during the night and fall off the support. What did we do wrong? Slats, bed and matress are IKEA.
The slats should be taunt before you place a matress on top of it. I have a queen size MALM bed with the center railing installed. From the center rail there are four smaller supports that are attached at a diagonal from the center rail to the side railings, two diagonals on each side. When laying the slats on top of the diagonals and center railing there six capped screws which hold the slats taunt. For a queen size bed I use a two of the twin bed slats.

Maybe the screws are not in place properly. Those should prevent the slats from moving at all.

Share |
cocotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
ikea , malm