No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jul 23rd, 08, 8:07 pm   #1
catalema
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Salt Lake City:Draper
Malm Bed missing parts

just moved this past weekend and was very excited to put together my bed. I found out that the metallic pieces of the bed were lost in the move. I live in Colorado and have no IKEA store close to me.
I called ikea direct and they told me that the piece that goes from the head board to the foot board they sell, but they don’t sell the metallic pieces that go on the side boards and hold the mattress. I looked on the instructions and clearly there is no part number for those pieces.
Any idea of how I can safe my bed? The other option is to get rid of it and the bedside tables – but I really love my bed…

Share |

catalema is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 23rd, 08, 9:04 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 216,412
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: Malm Bed missing parts

Welcome to IKEAFANS, catalema.

The pieces you're missing are not sold separately, but come as part of the frame purchase and are packed in with the side rails. They are NOT specific to the Malm bed, so it's possible (but not likely) that you could find them from a secondary source.

You could make a pretty good imitation of them using a couple of 1x2's or 1x3's as a ledger board, which you'd screw into the sides of the bed using 1 1/4" screws. You need to be sure you install those pieces level both along the side of the bed and to the mid-beam.

When you try this, use the holes in the side rail as a guide - the top of your ledger board should be about 1/2" below the set of holes you'd be using for the long "L" bracket.

Because you're missing the metal rails, you won't be able to secure the slats to the rail using the plastic hardware bits supplied by IKEA. You can use some screws to this, though - screw through the top and bottom slats on each side into the ledger board. Because you're screwing so close to the end of the slats, make sure you drill a pilot hole through the end of the slats before you drive the screw, so you don't crack the slats with your screw.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 08, 8:28 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Salt Lake City:Draper
Re: Malm Bed missing parts

Chuck,
Thank you so much for your advice. You gave me a lot of ideas. I think that my frustration was not letting me see that there were several options.
I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Catalina

Share |
catalema is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
ikea , malm