No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 11th, 07, 7:53 pm   #1
catdog88
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Carson
Kitchen wall cabinets for home office?

I have searched this but am surprised more aren't curious/trying this. I've come to the conclusion that this is the best way to go given the questionable mounting system for the office cabinets. I much prefer the mounting rail of the kitchen systems.

So my questions are regarding finishing of kitchen cabinets. Looks like the side panels/trim panels must be cut to size in most instances. What cutting tools does one need to maintain a clean cut? Where does one find details about edging? I'm having difficulty clarifying these details.

Are there better birch finishes (for interior of cabinets) other than the really fake looking ones I've seen in the showroom?

Share |

catdog88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 11th, 07, 8:06 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,680
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Hi catdog and welcome!

Lots of us use kitchen cabinets in other areas of our home; bathrooms, offices, I have some in my daughter's bedroom. Just because they are useful in the kitchen doesn't mean they don't work anywhere else! The doorstyles play well with others too.

To answer your questions:

Quote:
So my questions are regarding finishing of kitchen cabinets. Looks like the side panels/trim panels must be cut to size in most instances. What cutting tools does one need to maintain a clean cut? Where does one find details about edging? I'm having difficulty clarifying these details.
The side panels are designed to extend past the bottom of the cabinet a couple of inches with the intention that a decor strip, or light rail, will run perpendicularly in between the panels at either end of a cabinet run. If you're going to do that, you don't need to cut the panels at all, just the decor strip, and the ends would be hidden by the side panels. If you just want to cover the side of the cabinet and want the bottom flush, put the cut side at the ceiling where no one will see it. To cut, there's discussion on the benefits and drawbacks of various methods over in the "Assembly and Installation" forum as well as the "Modifications" forum. If you will have a cut edge showing, you can use an iron-on veneer and stain or paint it to match.

Quote:
Are there better birch finishes (for interior of cabinets) other than the really fake looking ones I've seen in the showroom?
No. The cabinets (much like the first Ford model T) come in any color you want as long as it's white or birch. Since most people don't display the inside of their cabinets, IKEA has lots of options available in the parts that do show...doors, drawer fronts and side panels, and only a couple of options for the actual boxes.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 07, 8:30 pm  
IKEA FAN

evaperconti - thanks for your prompt reply/will check the modification forums - much appreciated. How do the white interiors hold up? They look as if they're pretty thin and would quicly wear on the leading edge of the shelf.

Share |
Old Mar 11th, 07, 9:38 pm  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 77,293
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

Kitchen cabs and their finish is noticeably stronger than the bookshelves from what I can see. I''ve got Billy behind me on the wall, and the melamine on the AKURUM kitchen cabs seems tougher by comparison. The AKURUM is also a LOT stronger, and the shelves are pretty cheap to replace if they do get banged up . Are you planning on storing something in office shelves that would be more damaging than dishes etc?

I personally love the floating shelf look you can get that way. We'd love to see more Office renovation projects, I think you could do some *really* nice things by using different IKEA lines together the way you are...

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 07, 10:30 pm  
IKEA FAN

I will be storing a lot of books and large binders. Thus my reluctance with the shortcomings of the office wall units. Good to hear positive feedback about the Akurum units. Don't now about the rest of you -maybe I'm just slow - but it's taken me quite a while to make sense of this system. The details seem rather vague+ the IKEA folks aren't so helpful being that I won't be dropping major $$$$ on a new kitchen.

Share |
Old Mar 11th, 07, 10:48 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 211,462
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
There's really no reason why you can't use the rail system with the Effektiv cabinets, other than the lack of cover panels to "hide" the gap. Or you could use plywood as a mounting strip, cutting a piece of 3/4" to length, screwing it to the studs and then the cabinets to the strip. The major advantage to this is to stay "within the family" in terms of colors, size, design, etc. I have hung the Effektiv cabinets both ways, and never used a cover panel - my customers have liked the shadow/floating look.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 07, 7:10 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 3,240
Gallery: 6
Doorstyle: Akurum, Pax
I'm using the kitchen cabinets, not only in my kitchen, but my office, bathrooms and bedroom. I really don't see why not. I love the quality. You can always have special doors made if you want to change the look, but I do love the quality of the kitchen cabinets.

Share |
Old Mar 14th, 07, 11:54 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 211,462
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
There's nothing wrong with using the kitchen cabinets, as long as you don't mind the design, color, etc., differences,

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 07, 9:18 pm  
IKEA FAN

Thanks everyone for all your input - much appreciated!

Share |
Old Mar 18th, 07, 3:35 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 2,109
Gallery: 1
Doorstyle: Abstrakt, Rubrik, avsikt
hi everyone, i'm new to this website and amazed by the information here, just incredible! I too used ikea kitchen cabinets in the study. i used Arlig door and drawer fronts with Faktum frames (or what you guys in the states called Akurum ). i hid most of the things behind doors such as scanner, cpu and printer. i needed to drill a few holes at the back though for the cables to run thru. the keyboard shelf however is actually a spare Billy shelf but i attached it between the cabinets with drawer runners i bought from a hardware store. The desktop is an Ikea Sture metal top which is discontinued now. The desk is wonderful and so sturdy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg study vert.jpg (65.2 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg study inside.jpg (88.3 KB, 178 views)

Share |
mobelfakta is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment