IKEA FANS

IKEA FANS (/forums/)
-   Workspaces (http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/workspaces/)
-   -   GALANT file drawer - how does the locking bar work? (http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/workspaces/59786-galant-file-drawer-how-does-locking-bar-work.html)

ToddinHB May 25th, 12 6:31 pm

GALANT file drawer - how does the locking bar work?

I have a GALANT file drawer with combo lick, but the metal sliding bar on the side that is supposed to prevent it from being opened does not work. I am confident I assembled it correctly, but I can't find any logical way that the sliding bar is raised to secure the drawer.

There must be something that I am missing. I would be grateful for any insight and assistance.

hexkeyfan May 26th, 12 3:34 am

Re: GALANT file drawer - how does the locking bar work?

Could you provide pictures? If the locking mechanism isn't working it was most likely assembled incorrectly

bigredbird May 26th, 12 6:44 am

As far as I know you turn the lock to turn the locking tab so that it locates in the slot on the side of the unit.

If it is not turning it is either not fixed onto the back of the lock properly or has been put on the wrong way round.

Hope this helps.

ToddinHB May 31st, 12 6:43 pm

Okay, I got it. I did put the locking bar in backwards. You must follow the directions EXACTLY to make it work.

Thanks for everyone's input!

marylynnny Jun 19th, 12 4:47 pm

Good grief I'd really appreciate some help. I managed to get my Galant file cabinet locked (it has the 3-digit combo lock) and now I can't get the darn thing open. Any suggestions? And are you supposed to rotate the silver lock to open it (assuming so, after you put in the combo)? This is ridiculous. THANK YOU..

ToddinHB Jun 19th, 12 6:48 pm

I'm sorry to say that you'll have to visit your local IKEA store and get a replacement. Mine did so without too much complaining, but once it's locked and the combo is unknown, it essentially becomes unusable. Design flaw!

marylynnny Jun 20th, 12 12:48 pm

Major design flaw! I have the newer model (I think it's newer) - the lock is on the top. The people at the Return/Exchanges department had to break the cabinet open to get out the files I had locked inside (but was unable to get out because the dang lock wouldn't budge). Hated to make another trip to Ikea but they took back the cabinet with no problem. All in all frustrating but I got my money back. Thanks for your help!

hexkeyfan Jun 20th, 12 1:14 pm

I feel like having a lock override on a locking file cabinet, has its pluses and minuses.

If you forget the combo then yes you could open the file cabinet, but that same override could be used as exploit for someone to simply get into your files when the cabinet is locked.

What happens when you lose your key for a bike lock? Your SOL, and you have to break the lock. I feel like the locking mechanism is pretty standard with the galant

jtown Aug 21st, 12 1:46 am

We just got one of these and we're also having a problem with the lock. Locking is fine when it moves the metal lever up, but the problem is when we unlock it the metal lever doesn't go back down. How is this supposed to work? Is the metal lever supposed to be really loose in the wood channel so it falls down via gravity when unlocked?

DarkLucariox Aug 22nd, 12 9:08 am

Having built 4 of these things for the showroom I think this just a case of a minor assembly error. The bar that is on the lockcould be installed wrong. Pictures would be nice.

It is now 11:24 pm. All times are GMT -5.

©2005-2012 IKEAFANS, Incorporated. All rights reserved. Disclaimer: This site is intended as a source of information for those interested in IKEA products and is not affiliated with IKEA in any way. Information contained on these pages is offered as a compilation of individuals' experiences with IKEA products. The authors are not professionals and assume no responsibility for the accuracy of the information. IKEA is a registered trademark of Inter-IKEA Systems B.V. For more detailed information, please see our Terms and Conditions, Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines. IKEAFANS, Inc. P.O. Box 264, Montross, VA, USA 22520. Site Design and integration by mARTinDesign.