Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jul 1st, 07, 8:41 pm   #1
ikeahm
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
Question Any luck washing sofa slipcovers?

I have an Allerum sofa with off-white slipcover:

The tag inside the slipcover says:
100% cotton.
No bleach.
Iron.
Dry clean.
No tumble dry.
Do not wash.

Does anyone have any experience washing the cotton sofa slipcovers? Is drycleaning absolutely necessary?

I have thrown the cotton slipcover for my Pello chair (the Poang wannabe) in the washing machine despite the tag's instructions not to do so, and it came out super fabulous.

I don't want to risk ruining my Allerum slipcover, since a replacement will run me about 200 bucks on eBay, but I wanted to see if anyone has tried it in the past.

Many thanks in advance!

Share |

ikeahm is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 1st, 07, 10:20 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 17,440
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Avsikt/Kalsebo

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!
Re: Any luck washing sofa slipcovers?

I wouldn't try it. Presuming a 2% shrinkage, a 21" wide chair means less than 1/2" shrinkage ... that's an ok fudge factor. The same 2% shrinkage on a 80" wide sofa is over an 1-1/2" ... might not be so easy to fudge.

Share |
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 07, 12:14 am  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Adel Medium Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeahm View Post
I have an Allerum sofa with off-white slipcover:

The tag inside the slipcover says:
100% cotton.
No bleach.
Iron.
Dry clean.
No tumble dry.
Do not wash.

Does anyone have any experience washing the cotton sofa slipcovers? Is drycleaning absolutely necessary?

I have thrown the cotton slipcover for my Pello chair (the Poang wannabe) in the washing machine despite the tag's instructions not to do so, and it came out super fabulous.

I don't want to risk ruining my Allerum slipcover, since a replacement will run me about 200 bucks on eBay, but I wanted to see if anyone has tried it in the past.

Many thanks in advance!
I'd try washing one pillow cover first , cold water and hang to dry, then compare it to the other pillow and see if you have any problems. I've washed many things that are dry clean only. You win some you loose some.

Share |
remodelremodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 07, 9:16 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 220
Gallery: 2
Doorstyle: Faktum Applad White, Pax

I need update !!! How is your sofa cover? You end up dry clean or washing machine clean? i just collect it my sofa cover yesterday from dry clean. I don't really think dry clean make the wonder. Maybe i am old fashion women. I prefer soap, hot water cleaning way.

Share |
sandrayyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 07, 10:54 pm  
IKEA FAN

Thumbs up Re: Any luck washing sofa slipcovers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrayyp View Post
I need update !!! How is your sofa cover?
I washed the pillow covers in super cold water, liquid laundry detergent, and a scoop of Oxy Clean. They came out fine, so I washed the back cushion cover cover the same way and put it back on the couch while it was still damp. It didn't shrink, it got longer. I don't know how or why. So now the ends are a little slack, but I would rather have a clean couch with slack ends than a dirty couch with taut ends. I washed the seat cushion cover last, and it looks fabulous. The ends, again, are a little looser than before, but the fabric looks so much better now that it is clean.

I would not recommend hot water. It is not needed. Also, don't put the covers in the dryer. They need to be little damp when you put them back onto your couch so they dry in the correct form.

Share |
ikeahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 07, 2:13 am  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: Germany-Augsburg

Bought this sofa from craigslist, and I prefer to sit in my own 'dirt'. So I put the main- and the back cover into the washing machine and took the 'knits & delicates program'.

Everything came out fine, maybe there's a impregnation coating on the fabric which got lost now ... I don't care ...

Share |
lynley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 08, 11:59 am  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Pittsburgh

I washed the bright orange using cold water, and dried on low, but did not let it dry completely (it was just a bit damp when I took it out).

Covers were a bit tight, but I managed to fit. After a couple of weeks of being on the sofa, the cover stretches, and fits better.

No problems.

Share |
Ty483uj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 08, 3:26 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

I wash my Henriksdal counter stool white cotton covers all the time, on hot, and dry until just short of dry. Then I put them on the stools and they dry the rest of the way, no wrinkles and they actually get softer each time.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment