IKEA FANS

IKEA FANS (/forums/)
-   Workspaces (http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/workspaces/)
-   -   Expedit 4x2 hanged on a wall? Do i risk something? (http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/workspaces/9809-expedit-4x2-hanged-wall-do-i-risk-something.html)

xcuseme Sep 10th, 07 9:40 am

Expedit 4x2 hanged on a wall? Do i risk something?

I just bought 2 pieces of expedit 2x4 bookshelves... and i want to hang them horizontally on a concrete wall. So the bottom base of the bookshelf will not touch the floor at all. The load on the shelves will not be very high.

The product looks exactly like here:
http://auctionimg.whoismall.com/img/...0034_00045.jpg

Do you think is ok if i hang them on the wall using their wall fixing included accessories?

Is there any risk that the structure of the bookshelf will not resist and collapse?

Thank you in advance for helping me.

xcuseme Sep 11th, 07 1:56 am

Re: Expedit 4x2 hanged on a wall? Do i risk something?

27 views and no answer ? :(

Chuck Sep 11th, 07 5:55 am

The quick answer is you risk having the unit fall down. It's not designed to hang, though the brackets that come with it are the same as in many other IKEA lines (Pax and Akurum to name a couple). The piece weighs 75 pounds (34 kgs.); your wall is concrete. Between the two, it's an accident waiting to happen.

I would recommend that you NOT do this. If you were my customer and asked me to do it for you, I would refuse for safety reasons.

Tigratrus Sep 11th, 07 12:29 pm

Have you considered the possibility of building a shelf to support it? You could do some fairly stylish things with the supports for the shelf including supporting most of the load at the front edge with cables to carry the load from above, which would have a very modern look.

Chuck's absolutely right (as usual :P) that the Expedit really isn't designed to be hung by itself, the brackets supplied are just to attach it to the wall so that it doesn't tip over if an enthusiastic toddler were to climb it say... Having one that *would* do such a thing in a heartbeat we *always* attach storage systems to the wall and frequently with much more robust methods than a simple braket;).

In general it's important to keep in mind that IKEA carefully engineers their products to last well and support the load ranges specified when installed AS they are designed to be installed. To keep the price down they use the materials very efficiently, which can leave the product fairly weak if it's installed in a completely different manner. So since the EXPEDIT is designed to transmit the load to a solid surface, I my first instinct would be to provide it that solid surface at the location you want the EXPEDIT to
sit rather than trying to modify the EXPEDIT itself.

Not sure if that came across as clearly as it sounded in my head:rolleyes:, but hopefully it makes sense?

James

xcuseme Sep 11th, 07 4:17 pm

Thank you so much for your opinions... very helpful.
I just found a way to arrange them and keep the shelves on the ground floor, so the case is solved :)

Thank you so much again. Keep up the good work :)

Chuck Sep 11th, 07 8:42 pm

James - This is very well put - it deserves a "sticky". And should be stuck to some people's foreheads!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigratrus (Post 69357)
Have you considered the possibility of building a shelf to support it? You could do some fairly stylish things with the supports for the shelf including supporting most of the load at the front edge with cables to carry the load from above, which would have a very modern look.

Chuck's absolutely right (as usual :P) that the Expedit really isn't designed to be hung by itself, the brackets supplied are just to attach it to the wall so that it doesn't tip over if an enthusiastic toddler were to climb it say... Having one that *would* do such a thing in a heartbeat we *always* attach storage systems to the wall and frequently with much more robust methods than a simple braket;).

In general it's important to keep in mind that IKEA carefully engineers their products to last well and support the load ranges specified when installed AS they are designed to be installed. To keep the price down they use the materials very efficiently, which can leave the product fairly weak if it's installed in a completely different manner. So since the EXPEDIT is designed to transmit the load to a solid surface, I my first instinct would be to provide it that solid surface at the location you want the EXPEDIT to
sit rather than trying to modify the EXPEDIT itself.

Not sure if that came across as clearly as it sounded in my head:rolleyes:, but hopefully it makes sense?

James

thekatsmeow Feb 26th, 09 2:57 am

thekatsmeow Feb 26th, 09 2:57 am

I know this post is old but I found it when I was researching whether or not I could hang my 4x2 expedit horizontally on the wall. I hung two on my walls. One above my son's homeschooling desk and one in my scrapbooking room. I screwed a 1 x 2 into the studs for the expedit to sit on and then used L brackets to attach it to the studs. It's very secure and holds a lot of stuff. I have a couple of pictures (messy because we are still remodeling) but you can at least see how it looks.

Chuck Mar 2nd, 09 9:56 am

I wrote this 2 1/2 years ago. I stand by it today, even if your wall is stick-framed and sheathed in drywall or plaster.

It's still an accident waiting to happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 69329)
The quick answer is you risk having the unit fall down. It's not designed to hang, though the brackets that come with it are the same as in many other IKEA lines (Pax and Akurum to name a couple). The piece weighs 75 pounds (34 kgs.); your wall is concrete. Between the two, it's an accident waiting to happen.

I would recommend that you NOT do this. If you were my customer and asked me to do it for you, I would refuse for safety reasons.

thekatsmeow Mar 3rd, 09 1:03 am

Thanks for your feedback. I checked with my step-dad who is does home remodeling and repair and he assures me that the way he hung it is safe. I understand your opinion and appreciate it but my step-dad has never steered me wrong and so far so good :)

It is now 9:36 am. All times are GMT -5.

©2005-2012 IKEAFANS, Incorporated. All rights reserved. Disclaimer: This site is intended as a source of information for those interested in IKEA products and is not affiliated with IKEA in any way. Information contained on these pages is offered as a compilation of individuals' experiences with IKEA products. The authors are not professionals and assume no responsibility for the accuracy of the information. IKEA is a registered trademark of Inter-IKEA Systems B.V. For more detailed information, please see our Terms and Conditions, Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines. IKEAFANS, Inc. P.O. Box 264, Montross, VA, USA 22520. Site Design and integration by mARTinDesign.